Wednesday, August 25, 2004

From the Leave Those Kids Alone Department

This evening's Larry King Show featured yet another of those "I know-that-I-shouldn't-watch-this-but-I-can't-help-myself" stories about yet another attractive female teacher seducing one of her male students. But this one is somewhat different. The perpetrator, one Heather Ingram, is.....Canadian. I know what your thinking: "EdWonk, you did not hear that correctly; Canadians don't even have sex, much less illicit sex." (One of The Education Wonk's Sources has verified that many Canadians do have sex......occasionally.)

The EdWonk assures his readers that Ms. Ingram is indeed Canadian, and did indeed have an intimate relationship with one of her male students. What makes this case even more outrageous is that Ingram expresses no regrets for her actions and is even in a position to profit by her crimes. In her own words, "I am so much stronger; ultimately it was worth it." Of course she has written a book, My Student, My Lover, My Story. We are sure that you will want to get your copy from Amazon real soon.

Could this lack of regret be because the only "punishment" that she received was 10 months of house arrest and 100 hours of community "service". In other words, she couldn't go outside and play except to perform her "service." (We wonder what type of ah..uh.. ahem...."services" that she performed.)

Now if this had been a MAN teacher, he would have gotten 30 years in the slammer. No doubt about it, there is a double standard at play here.

Ms. Ingram, The EdWonk has one thing that he would like to say to you: "Silly teacher, students are for teachin not for squeezin." Ms. Ingram, you have been officially Educated.